So something else I pulled from General Conference is from that same talk where Sister Tanner quotes President Hinckley: "How much more beautiful would be the society in which we live if every father and mother regarded their children as gifts from the God of Heaven and brought them up with true affection in wisdom and the admonition of the Lord. " It reminded me of a quote from one of Jodi Picoult's books My Sister's Keeper, (which is about kidney donation) & I should not have read it RIGHT when Weston got his transplant) where she states: "We never have children, we receive them."

Doug & I read a lot in the hospital. So here is the list we have read in the last two months. Doug read in one month Eragon & Eldest, which may not seem very much, but considering he wasn't there ALL day like I was, it is a lot because Eldest is really long.
I read the following:
Of the Twilight series, New Moon and Eclipse, How to be Lost, by Jodi Picoult, I read My Sister's Keeper, Perfect Match, Nineteen Minutes, Change of Heart, Salem Falls, The Pact, Picture Perfect, & the best one, Second Glance & that's all I can remember now.
Second Glance was by far my favorite and had this quote in it that really touched me. It just made me appreciate all the help from family, friends, nurses, doctors, our ward, & many people I don't even know who supported us in our time of need. We did all we could to help and comfort our little Weston. And when we could do no more, these people and our Father in Heaven took over.
"Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back."
There were several experiences where I felt "saved" by our nurses. One in particular hit me hard. Weston had a pretty bad bleed after his transplant and our night nurse asked if I was LDS. I said yes. She said, "Oh good, because I was singing him Primary songs last night." I had been feeling guilty for not staying nights and it comforted me to know that Weston was being so completely taken care after all I could do.
Friday, April 18, 2008
Reading & Quotes
Posted by Doug & Stef at 1:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What an amazing nurse!! Wow! Heavenly Father was and is definitely watching over Weston.
I'm crying after that, how sweet! Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment